Teesside University Taekwon-do (“we”, “us,” “our,” and “TUTKD”) is a martial arts school offering teaching in Traditional Taekwon-do (“Services”), at Teesside University. Operated by Mr Christopher Black (V Degree) with help from Mr Rick Bairstow (I Degree) and headquartered in Middlesbrough, Teesside.
Our appointed data controller is Mr Rick Bairstow, and is responsible for storing and processing data in a fair, lawful, secure, and transparent way.
“Assistant Instructor,” “Instructor,” “Master”, and “Grandmaster” is a person who is qualified and approved to deliver our Services to Students.
“EEA” is the European Economic Area, of which the United Kingdom is a member of.
“Helper” is a person who has been designated and approved to assist in the delivery of our Services.
“Personal Information”means any information which could identify, or be used to identify, a Student. Examples of Personal Information include, but are not limited to, first and last name, address, date of birth, or email address.
“Registration” and “Sign Up” refer to the means by which we collect information to facilitate delivery of our Services to a Student, potential Student, or depending on context, a parent or carer of a Student.
“Student” and “Member” is a person who uses, or is registered to use, the Services we provide. This includes persons who actively use, or have previously used, our Services.
“Visitor” means any person who visits any of our website(s) or application(s), or who opts-in to online services such as our communication platform.
“You” and “Your” means either a Student, Visitor, or depending on context, a Parent.
Privacy for Students
This section applies to the Personal Information we may collect and process from a Student, through the provision of our Services. In this section, “you” and “your” refer to Students, potential Students, and depending on context, a parent or carer of a Student or potential Student.
Information We Collect
The Personal Information we may collect falls into the following categories:
- Information you provide to us: in the course of engaging with our Services, you may be asked to provide Personal Information about you, or depending on context, your child. Personal Information is collected during Registration through the use of a physical or digital form.
Information collected includes first name, surname, address, phone, email, and date of birth. Parent / carer first name, surname, address, phone, and email. Disability and additional support information, medical information. Emergency contact name and phone.
- Lawful basis for data collection: we require this Personal Information to administer and manage your membership to the Services we provide. Our lawful basis for processing this information is that that we have a contractual obligation to you as a Student to provide the Services you are registering for, and to safeguard all Students who use our Services.
- Use of Personal Information: we may use the Personal Information we collect through our Services for a range of reasons, which include:
- To bill and collect money owed to us by You.
- To send important information to you (opt-in).
- To communicate with you about your use of our Services.
- To enforce compliance with applicable laws, and to protect the rights and safeguarding of our Students and third parties, as well as our own.
- To meet legal requirements and requests, including complying with court orders, public authorities, and appropriate legal authorities.
- To provide Personal Information to our instructors to facilitate the delivery of Services.
- Other purposes. To carry out other legitimate purposes, as well as lawful purposes, about which we will notify you.
- Cookies and Tracking Technologies: we and our partners may use various technologies to collect and store information when you use our Website(s) or Services. This may include using cookies and similar tracking technologies on our Website(s) and third parties, such as Google Analytics, Jetpack, WordPress.com, MailChimp, Contact Forms. These may track certain behaviour for statistical usage, such as logging your visit, IP address, the pages you view, the browser and/or operating system you use, your referring URL, your country, and other similar details. Additionally, when using our Website(s) contact forms, the provided information will be directly sent via email, and will not be stored on our Website(s). We use this information to measure the performance of our marketing campaigns, and to provide analytics information to enhance the effectiveness of our Website(s) and Services.
- Data Protection Rights: You have the following data protection rights for your Personal Information.
- To access, update, or request deletion of Personal Information. We have taken reasonable steps to ensure that the data we collect is reliable for its intended use, and is accurate, complete, and up to date. As a Student, or depending on context a Parent, you can manage your information by contacting us directly in writing or via email.
- Individuals who are residents of the EEA can object to the processing of, ask to restrict the processing of, or request portability of their Personal Information. You can exercise these rights by contacting us directly in writing or via email.
- If Personal Information is collected or processed with consent, you may withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawal can be done at any time by contacting us directly in writing or via email.
- The right to complain to a data protection authority about the collection and use of Personal Information. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority. The United Kingdom’s data authority is the Information Commissioner’s Office (https://ico.org.uk).
How We Share Information
- United Kingdom Taekwon-do Association (UKTA): is the governing body which our Services and Instructors are registered with. When you use or renew our Services, we are required to share your Personal Information with the UKTA. This ensures that the Student has relevant licensing and personal insurance, which is required to practice Taekwon-do martial arts in the United Kingdom. The UKTA may use your Personal Information for licensing, personal insurance, event participation, seminars, training courses, and gradings. Sharing your information with the UKTA requires that you opt-in when signing up to our Services. As licensing and personal insurance is a legal requirement, opting out of this sharing may affect our ability to offer you Services. UKTA data policies are available at www.ukta.com.
- Photography and Video: is available for opt-in during the Registration process. When providing our Services we may take photographs or videos of Students, these will be used to advertise or promote our Services. We may publish this information on our Website(s), and social platforms such as YouTube and Facebook, their respective policies are available at https://policies.google.com/privacy and https://www.facebook.com/privacy.
- Advertising partners: may be used to create printed and digital promotional, advertising, and news campaigns, for our Services. This may include the sharing of photographs, videos, and your name to third party printing, advertising, and news outlets. When using your Personal Information, or photographic / video material of you, we will always approach you for additional consent.
- Law enforcement, regulatory body, government agency, or court: we may release your Personal Information where necessary if we believe (a) as a matter of applicable law or regulation, (b) to exercise or defend our legal rights, or (c) to protect your vital interests or those of another person.
- British TaekwonDo Council (BTC): is a national governing body for Taekwon-do in the United Kingdom, and exists to ensure the safe and lawful delivery of Taekwon-do through our Services. This body ensures that adequate ethics, health and safety, risk assessments, safeguarding, insurance, and enhanced disclosure and barring service (DBS) checks exist. If a safeguarding issue, or health and safety violation occur, we have lawful precedence to approach the BTC for legal advice. This may include sharing your Personal Information with the BTC, in accordance with their safeguarding policies available at www.tkdcouncil.com/safeguarding. In some situations, this may result in your information being shared with relevant law enforcement or safeguarding organisations (such as the NSPCC or Police).
Your Choices and Opt-Outs
Persons who have opted in to any of our services may opt-out at any time, requests can be made in writing or by email using the contact details provided in “Questions and Concerns”. Please note that opting out may affect our ability to provide you with our Services. For our MailChimp communication platform, you may opt-out by following the instructions on the bottom of any email communication.
We take appropriate and reasonable measures to protect your Personal Information from loss, misuse, unauthorised access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction.
- All physical information: are converted to digital format, any physical documents are kept in a secured premises, with only authorised permitted access. In the event that physical documents are destroyed, this will be done through appropriate shredding.
- Physical licenses and grading cards: licenses and grading cards are generated when registering your Personal Information with the UKTA. Licenses are to be held by the student, and should be present at gradings, events, and competitions, to be used as identification and progression logging. Grading cards will be held by us and are required to be presented at a Student’s grading. Grading cards will be kept in a secure location, within a locked container, and will only be transported for grading purposes. Transport of these documents will be performed by the data controller and approved persons, these will be kept in a lockable container during transport.
- Digital Information: will never be transferred, misused, or shared, with unauthorised persons. Only our appointed data controller, and approved persons have access to this information.
- Data Security: is a priority and maintained at all times, all Personal Information is secured using an AES (Advanced Encryption Standard), 256-bit key length, SHA1, and CBC (cipher block chaining) encryption. This encryption is the strongest industry-standard protection currently available and was selected by the National Security Agency (NSA) for use as a standard for the US Government. Information is only accessible by approved persons, using secure encrypted passwords.
Retention of Data
We retain Personal Information where we have ongoing Services or legal need to do so. Students are required to renew their licensing information on an annual basis. If at this renewal the Student is not actively using our Services, or has not used our Services for a period of 12 months, the Student’s Personal Information will be destroyed in accordance with data protection regulations. At this point the Student’s grading card will be returned to the UKTA organisation, and the student will no longer have ongoing Services with us.
Changes to this Policy
Questions and Concerns
If you have any questions, or have a concern about your privacy, please use our Website’s contact information to send us a message, which is available here. You can also get in touch with us at any of our Taekwon-do classes. Alternatively you can email us at email@example.com.